The internal audit activity helps the Florida Lottery accomplish its objectives by bringing a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
The internal audit activity offers two types of services:
- An Assurance Service is an objective examination of evidence for the purpose of providing an independent assessment of risk management, control, or governance processes for the organization. Examples may include financial, performance, compliance, system security and due diligence engagements; and
- A Consulting Service is an advisory and related client-service activity, the nature and scope of which is agreed upon with the client and is intended to add value and improve an organization's operations. Examples include counsel, advice, facilitation, process design and training.
Internal audit services are to be performed in a way that provides reasonable assurance that work conforms to the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, the Office of Inspector General Charter and Operations Manual.
The Office of Inspector General has the responsibility to:
- Develop and implement a flexible annual audit plan;
- Maintain a professional audit staff;
- Establish and maintain a quality assurance program;
- Provide summaries and results of internal audit activities for inclusion in the Office of Inspector General Annual Report;
- Stay informed of emerging trends and successful practices in internal auditing;
- Consider the scope of work of external auditors; and
- Provide liaison support to external auditors.